Find a copy in the library
Find it in libraries globally
|Genre/Form:||Documentary television programs
Science television programs
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
Video recordings for people with visual disabilities
|Named Person:||Rachel Carson|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||WGBH Video (Firm)|
|Language Note:||Closed-captioned. (v.1-3). Audio-described (v.1-2).|
|Notes:||V. 1-2 originally broadcast on the television program Nova; v. 3 originally broadcast as a Nova/Frontline television production; v.4 originally broadcast on the television program American experience.|
|Credits:||Cinematographers, Rick Brandt ... [et al.] ; editor, Michel Chalufour ; music, Sheldon Mirowitz.|
|Performer(s):||(1): Hosted by Tom and Ray Magliozzi ; narrated by John Lithgow.
(4): Narrator, Alex Chadwick ; Rachel Carson readings by Meryl Streep.
|Description:||4 videodiscs (277 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.|
|Details:||DVD; NTSC, Region 1; (4 x 3) full screen presentation (v.3-4); letterboxed (v.2) or 16:9 anamorphic (v.1); Dolby digital.|
|Contents:||v. 1. Car of the future --
v. 2. Solar energy: saved by the sun --
v. 3. Global warming: what's up with the weather? --
v. 4. Rachel Carson's Silent spring.
|Other Titles:||Frontline (Television program)
Nova (Television program)
American experience (Television program)
Saved by the sun: Examines efforts to make solar power more efficient and affordable, from individuals installing solar panels on their roofs to industrial-scale projects in the Mojave desert featuring massive arrays of mirrors. Also looks at Germany's goal to produce thirty percent of its electricty from renewable sources by 2020.
What's up with the weather?: Examines recent changes in weather patterns around the world, attempting to discover whether they are natural, temporary glitches in the global climate or the result of global warming.
Rachel Carson's silent spring: Examines Rachel Carson and her book, Silent spring, published in 1962, an exposé of the chemical industry's unregulated use of DDT.
- Carson, Rachel, -- 1907-1964. -- Silent spring.
- Automobiles -- Technological innovations.
- Automobiles -- Design and construction.
- Solar energy.
- Global warming.
- Greenhouse effect, Atmospheric.
- Global temperature changes.
- Fossil fuels -- Environmental aspects.
- Long-range weather forecasting.
- Biologists -- United States -- Biography.
- Environmentalists -- United States -- Biography.
- Science writers -- United States -- Biography.
- Pesticides -- Environmental aspects.
- Pesticides -- Toxicology.
- Pesticides and wildlife.
- Insect pests -- Biological control.
- Environmental health.
- Biographical television programs.